@Gotham- Attendance Matters
ATTENDANCE FOR ALL- THE GOAL FOR BOTH STUDENTS AND SCHOOLS IS 95% OR GREATER ATTENDANCE
THE ATTENDANCE AGENDA:
...Reduce absenteeism and increase academic success.
Attendance is a key component of instruction. A child missing school is not receiving instruction.
A child who attends school 90 percent of the time will miss a full year of instruction by grade twelve.
National testing data show that students who miss school consistently score lower on standardized tests, no matter age, demographic group, or state or city.
ATTENDANCE LAW A:
A.Each minor from 5 to 17 years of age in New York City is required to attend school on a full-time basis.
2. Students who turn 17 on or after July 1st must complete the school year in which they turn 17 years of age.
GOTHAM ATTENDANCE GOALS:
- more outreach to families and providing families with resources and supports needed to help them help their children.
- identify reasons for absences and lateness
- provide positive mentor-ship to students
- increase student attendance percent to 90% for the SY 2017-2018
- increase student attendance percent to 95% by SY 2018-2019
REPORTING YOUR CHILD'S ABSENCE OR LATENESS:
If your child will be absent, you should call the school the day of absence to report it and have your child submit a note when they return to school( parent note or medical documentation or other documentation which notes the reason for absence)
Report absence by calling the school at 718-455-0746
- Hector Sanchez, Asst. Principal EXT 3121 - email@example.com
- Erica Griffith, Asst. Principal EXT 3171 - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Shelby Mitchell, Social Worker EXT 3403- email@example.com
- Lia De Vore, Pupil Personnel Secretary EXT 3172 - firstname.lastname@example.org
Central Attendance Teacher: Michael Spruill
DOE POLICY REGARDING ATTENDANCE INVESTIGATIONS:
INVESTIGATION OF CAUSES OF ABSENCE AND THE FORM 407 TRACKING SYSTEM
The Form 407 attendance follow-up and outreach referral (hereinafter referred to as a Form 407 referral) and Form 407 attendance investigation (hereinafter referred to as a Form 407 investigation) is an elevated attendance tracking and intervention measure for students who remain absent that must be implemented after standard follow-up and outreach measures (including calls on the day of absence) have been utilized, as set forth in this section. The purpose of a Form 407 investigation is to identify the reason a student remains absent, identify appropriate follow-up action and return the student to school or, where appropriate, discharge the student.
A Form 407 referral is automatically generated in ATS under the following circumstances:
1. when a student has been absent for 10 consecutive days;
2. where there has been a prior 407 investigation for a student, and such student is subsequently absent for 8 consecutive days or 15 aggregate days; or
3. for students in pre-kindergarten through grade 8, when a student has been absent for 20 aggregate days over a four-month period.
GOTHAM ATTENDANCE OUTREACH:
- Daily notice of Absence via School Messenger
- Attendance Team Outreach via phone call and/or Letter
- Parent/Guardian Meeting with Attendance Team
Change of Address Forms (Forms Attached)
- Change of Address form
- DOE List of Documents Required to Verify Residency
- Residency Questionnaire
- Blue Card- ONLY DISTRIBUTED AT SCHOOL
ALL FORMS SHOULD BE COMPLETED AND SUBMITTED TO THE SCHOOL ALONG 2 (TWO) DOCUMENTS VERIFYING RESIDENCY