Key facts about Gotham:
- We are a member of the NY Performance Standards Consortium, which means that we're one of about 38 schools across NY State that have a Regents waiver. As a result, our students only take the ELA Regents. Grads receive Regents diplomas, but complete PBATs (Performance Based Assessment Tasks) that focus on inquiry and critical thinking instead of Regents exams.
- Our ELA Regents pass rate is 95%.
- We're a Community Learning School (lots of programs and partnerships to meet student & family needs).
- All students must complete a graduation PBAT in the Arts, after completing a sequence of five courses in their focus area. All 9th grade students take art foundation classes, then choose to pursue drama, studio visual arts or art criticism for their Art PBAT.
- We are a small (180 students) school with small class sizes (17 average).
- All 9th graders are connected to a peer mentor through our Peer Group Connection program. This program is supported by the Center for Supportive Schools.
- We have 5 onsite after-school activities (Dance, Cartoon & Illustration, Fashion, Drama/Improv & SAT Prep), all free of charge. We also connect students to many activities all over NYC after school, on Saturdays and in the summer.
- Our partners include: The Whitney Museum, The Brooklyn Museum, New York Cares, City Harvest, Healthy Schools Brooklyn, Grow to Learn NYC, Crown Heights Mediation Center, Bed-Stuy Community Partnership Project, Citizens Committee of NYC, The Possibility Project, The Art Students League of New York, Summer Search, Henry Street Settlement, The Leadership Program, and many more!
- Recent Washington Post Article about Consortium Schools. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2018/04/03/there-are-better-ways-to-assess-students-than-with-high-stakes-standardized-tests-these-schools-are-using-them-with-success/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.0188864d6a3b